The Bond Family

Reverend Nathanial BondThe Bonds first came to Tyneham in 1683 when Nathaniel Bond bought both Tyneham and Creech Grange. From this time on wards the Bond family lived in Tyneham House.

Two years later one of the members was actually sentenced to death by Judge Jeffreys. Lady Alice Lisle who was in her seventies was sentenced to burn to death for harbouring a refuge from the Battle of Sedgemoor. After much protest the sentence was changed to death by beheading instead. Lady Alice Lisle was the daughter of Edith Bond.

Over the next hundred or so years ownership of Tyneham passed from Nathaniel Bond to John Bond, then Dennis Bond and then to Reverend William Bond who built the south transept of Tyneham Church to be used exclusively for the Bond family.

In the 1850s Nathaniel Bond was the Rebrand of Tyneham. He was responsible for the building of Tyneham school.

John BondTwenty years late William Bond inherited Tyneham from his late father, the Revrand Henry Bond. In 1911 Henry’s son, Algernon Bond died of malaria in India.

Ralph Bond went on to inherit Tyneham in 1935 from his father William.

Ralph Bond was the last owner of Tyneham before they were forced to leave. He died in 1951 a broken man after the loss of Tyneham and the way Government broke its promise to return Tyneham to him and its former inhabitants.

In 1956 Lilian Bond published her much acclaimed book “Tyneham – A Lost Heritage”. If you want to learn more about the Bond family and their lives in Tyneham this book really is a must read.

Lilian Bond’s book is comprised of fourteen chapters that each describe an aspect of Tyneham life. You really get the feel of what Tyneham life was like.

7 thoughts on “The Bond Family

  • at

    During the early sixtes i was stationed in Wuppertal German with the 3rd Greenjackets ,The Rifle Brigade. During that time i was a driver/operator to a Major Mark Bond who told me he had for a time serverd with the Parachute Regiment in North Africa. At that time i was trying to get accepted for a course with P coy in Aldershot.
    When we returned to the UK for a posting to Cyprus I was accepted for P Coy and I believe it was through some imput from Maj. Bond that I was accepted. I passed P Coy and was posted to 1 Para. I always remember in winter he wore his grandfathers Rifle Green Greatcoat with black buttons.
    He was a good officer, well liked, though he could be cold and very private at times, I have nothing but
    good memories of him. I was a bit of a wild card and would joke that he only kept me on because I amused him
    Was he a member of the family that owned Tyneham and tried to get it back ? I have been living in NZ since
    1971 but still consider myself and Englishman and still have a British pass port. I have lost touch with most of my old comrades from the Rifles but still keep in touch with the Paras.


    Cliff joy

    • at

      Yes, Major (later Major-General) was the Mark Bond whose parents had to leave Tyneham. He was a great man, describing himself as “busy in public life, but quiet in private life”, to describe his voluntary work in Dorset after his retirement from the Army. He was my much-loved uncle, and died in 2017.

    • at


      Celer et Audax. Swift And Bold.

      I served with R Company 3 RGJ in the mid 70s. My wife and I also dearly love Tyneham. We recently were lucky enough to purchase Lillian Bond’s 1956 book Tyneham and I’m reading a chapter or two out loud to my wife over the Christmas 2020 holidays. What an incredible book it is. It brings Tyneham House to life for us. We, as I am sure many before us have, fallen in love with Tyneham and Warbarrow Bay. Such a very very special place. ?✊

    • at

      Love to hear more about your memories of Mark Bond Cliff. Gerry ex R Coy 3 RGJ in 1970s. ✊

Leave a Reply